2019 - October Lunch Meeting
Check in - 11:00-11:30
Presented by: Zashin & Rich
Credits: This program is being submitted for approval of recertification credits by the HR Certification Institute (HRCI) and for SHRM Professional Development Credit (PDC).
Note: The last day to register for this event is Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 5:00pm.
Presenter: Jessi Ziska, Zashin & Rich
Jessi Ziska’s practice encompasses all areas of employment and labor law. Jessi earned her law degree from the University of Akron School of Law. Along with her J.D., she earned certificates in both Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution and Health Law.
As a law student, she took advantage of several campus leadership opportunities. Jessi was a member of the Moot Court Honor Society and Trial Team. As a member of the Moot Court Honor Society, Jessi competed in the 2016 American Bar Association National Appellate Advocacy Competition in Boston, Massachusetts. Jessi was later elected to serve as the President of the Moot Court Honor Society.
After her performance in Akron Law’s Summer Trial Academy, Jessi was selected to join Akron Law’s nationally known Trial Team, which gave her the opportunity to compete in the 2016 Ohio Attorney General’s Public Service Mock Trial Competition in Columbus.
As part of the Health Law program at Akron Law, Jessi completed an externship in the health law practice group of a well-established, Northeast Ohio firm. During her externship, she reviewed and revised employment agreements between physicians and hospitals, formed various corporate and non-profit entities, and ensured corporate compliance with federal and state laws. In her free time, Jessi enjoys rock climbing, exercising, and spending time with her family.
- I.Federal Law Developments
- A.Federal Case Law Updates
- B.New Legislative Updates
- C.Pending Legislative Efforts
- II.Agency Developments
- A.EEOC’s EEO-1 pay data collections
- B.DOL’s Final White-Collar Overtime Rule
- C.NLRB Proposed Rules
- D.Recent NLRB Decisions
- III.SCOTUS Developments
- A.Key Employment Law Decisions
- B.Employment Cases to Watch in Upcoming Term
- IV.Proposed Ohio Legislation
- A.Family Medical Leave (HB 91)
- B.Adding Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity to OCRC/Ohio Fairness Act (SB 11)
- C.Pregnant Workers: Ohio Pregnant Workers Fairness Act (SB 94)
- V. State/Local Law Hot Topics
- A.Personal Liability for Employees
- B.Former Employee Entitlement to Unused PTO
- C.Trend Towards Protecting Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
- D.Trend Towards Banning Salary History
- VI.Hot Employment Law Decisions